This is a guide for academics who are thinking of applying to become an Academic Visitor at the Institute.
As an Academic Visitor of the Nissan Institute you will be entitled to:
- an Oxford University email address for the visiting period
- limited access to the University computing facilities
- use of the Bodleian Libraries
- attend Nissan Institute seminars and workshops
- attend other open seminars held within the University
As an Academic Visitor you will be expected to:
- interact with faculty members and graduate students
- take part in Institute events including seminars and workshops
- give a short presentation in English about your research while in Oxford at either the Graduate seminar or the Nissan Seminar
The Institute assumes that visitors who come as academic visitors are competent in English and able to pursue independent research about Japan. It cannot provide or arrange academic supervision.
We regret that we are unable to assist in the securing/purchasing of accommodation but will offer general advice about places to stay in Oxford and how to go about looking for it.
On occasions we can offer the Nissan Institute Flat but this is entirely on a first come first served basis. If you wish to be considered for the flat please state this in your letter of application.
Workspace in the Institute is very limited but we will do our best to accommodate you. Please specify in your letter of application if you would like to be considered for office space.
An invitation to become an Academic Visitor does not imply any financial obligation by the University and is given on the understanding that the Visitor will be entirely self-funded (in accordance with Immigration policy). An invitation to become an Academic Visitor does not by itself confer membership of any College.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that compliance with UK immigration and visa requirements are met. Please ensure that you have checked your status with the guidelines on the Home Office UK Border Agency’s website http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/business/