Directions to the Nissan Institute
The Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies. 27 Winchester Road, Oxford OX2 6NA (see our contact and building access pages).
The Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies is located in the grounds of St. Antony’s College on the Woodstock Road, which is one of the two main roads leading from the City Centre northwards. Since it is some way from the rail station and bus station, we do recommend that visitors take a taxi. However for those who are keen to walk the following directions apply.
From the City Centre
Taxis are recommended from the bus station if you have luggage.
To walk from the City Centre to the Nissan Institute will take between 15 and 20 minutes. Many local bus stops are located on Magdalen Street (outside the Odeon cinema), and national buses arrive at Gloucester Green Bus Station on George Street. From there you should make your way to Magdalen Street and from there you will reach St. Giles’. Keep to the left-hand side of St. Giles’ and follow the road north. This becomes the Woodstock Road eventually when you have passed St. Giles’ church (on the right) and Brown’s Café (on the left). Walk straight up the road, passing the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter and Green Templeton Collge on the left, until you reach a small group of shops (on the left). The entrance to St Antony’s is about 50 metres further up on the right-hand side of the road.
The Nissan Institute is in the grounds of St. Antony’s College. Follow the signs marked Lecture Theatre. Go up the steps and through the automatic door, you are now in the Nissan Institute. The Institute Office is located on the 1st Floor.
From the Train Station
Taxis are recommended from the station, but if you are happy with a 30 minute walk, turn left as you leave the station area. The Royal Oxford Hotel is directly in front of you; keep left and walk along Hythe Bridge Street. At the end walk straight across into George Street. At the end of George Street the department store Debenhams is on the left. Turn left into Magdalen Street and walk northwards towards St. Giles’ and Woodstock Road and then follow the instructions given above.
The 14 bus connecting the railway station to the John Radcliffe (or JR) hospital has a stop very close to the College by Bevington Road. For timetable information, see http://www.stagecoachbus.com/ and search for Oxford in the Location drop-down and 14 as the Route No./Name.
Trains run at least once an hour between Oxford and London, and twice an hour during peak times. Oxford is also on the main cross-country routes. For details of times and fares, visit http://www.nationalrail.co.uk
Two companies run frequent buses, 24 hours a day, between London (Victoria Bus Station) and Oxford: The Oxford Bus Company (tel: +44 (0) 1865 785400) and the Oxford Tube (tel: +44 (0) 1865 772250.
There are also direct and regular services to Oxford from Heathrow and Gatwick airports run by the Oxford Bus Company (see above contact details). Coach services from other parts of the country are also available. See the National Express web-site for more information.
1. Leave M4 at junction 13 sign posted Newbury, Oxford A34
2. Join the A34, heading north, signposted Oxford
3. Leave A34 at “Peartree interchange” sign posted Oxford North, Kidlington
4. Follow signs to Oxford, Summertown, London A40 passing the Park & Ride
5. You will shortly arrive at a roundabout on the A40 with a BP fuel station; this is City Motors Roundabout
6. Join the A40 going to London (2nd exit) and at next roundabout turn right into the Banbury Road, sign posted Oxford Centre, Summertown
7. Continue on the Banbury Road, heading south for approx 2 miles
8. You will pass a conservatory-style building on the right called Gee’s; take the next right turn into Bevington Road
9. Once in Bevington Road, turn right in to Winchester Road. There is limited street parking for up to one hour.
FROM M40 TRAVELLING SOUTH
1. Leave the M40 at Junction 9, sign posted Oxford A34
2. Join the A34 heading south and travel 8 miles
3. Leave at the “Peartree interchange” sign posted Oxford North, Kidlington
4. Follow directions from 4-9 see above.
FROM THE M40 TRAVELLING NORTH (from London)
1. Leave the M40 motorway at Junction 8 sign posted Oxford A40
2. Continue on A40 for 2.5 miles to traffic lights with Park & Ride on your right. Go straight on
3. After another half a mile you will come to the Green Road roundabout, take the third exit, marked A40 Cheltenham. You are now on the ring road north of Oxford
4. After 3 miles you get to the Banbury Road roundabout. Turn left into Banbury Road - sign posted Oxford Centre, Summertown
5. Continue on the Banbury Road, heading south for approx 2 miles
6. You will pass a conservatory-style building on the right called Gee’s; take the next right turn into Bevington Road
7. Once in Bevington Road, turn right in to Winchester Road. You should be able to park your car somewhere on Winchester Road, Canterbury Road or Bevington Road (for a limited period during the day).